Monday 5 February 2018

Lottie and Gil's Wedding at Dryburgh Abbey Hotel

 

Lottie and Gil value the things in life that no money can buy - family, friends and time. They wanted a wedding that maximised the time they spent with the people they love, for the day to flow and be relaxed and enjoyable for everyone. And it certainly was!

They come from very different backgrounds but they share the same values and same dark sense of humour. They both have always thought for themselves and not just followed the crowds, which is probably why they both went into science!

Indeed, science featured in both of their chosen readings. The first, read by Lottie’s oldest friend Helen was by one of Lottie’s favourite authors, Isaac Asimov and is his response to a sickly sweet song but it beautifully sums up Lottie and Gil’s view of the world.

Tell me why the stars do shine,
Tell me why the ivy twines,
Tell me what makes skies so blue,
And I'll tell you why I love you.

Nuclear fusion makes stars to shine,
Tropisms make the ivy twine,
Raleigh scattering make skies so blue,
Testicular hormones are why I love you.

Their second reading, performed by Groomsman Matt was taken from the song “Finite Simple Group” by The Klein Four which was chosen because it represents love through the medium of maths - which is similar to how Gil and Lottie approach love and each other! 

Lottie and Gil wrote their own unique and meaningful vows, which went down well with the assembled guests as they tried to work out all the references!

Lottie: I, Lottie
Gil: And I, Gil
Both: vow to be excellent to each other
Lottie: to travel through time and space with you
Gil: and to grow old disgracefully together
Lottie: I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Gil: In times of trouble I’ll start by turning it off and on again.
Lottie: Don’t panic.
Gil: As what defines us is how well we rise after falling.
Lottie: Where we’re going we don’t need roads, as our future hasn’t been written yet.
Gil: Life’s a game and we all play our parts
Lottie: For better, for worse.
Gil: For richer, for poorer.
Lottie: but NOT to obey you, of course, because that’s anachronistic and misogynistic and who do you think you are, like a sea captain or something?
Gil: As weddings are basically funerals with cake
Lottie: so long as it’s not some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Gil: I am Groot.
Lottie: You’ll do
Gil: Also yes.
Both: So say we all

As Gil is from a Jewish family, the ceremony ended with the Jewish ritual breaking of glass. In the Jewish tradition, no wedding would be complete until the glass has broken!


There were so many personal touches that made the occasion extra special including handmade bouquets, buttonholes and bunting and 1000 paper cranes all made by Lottie!



Lottie and Gil even made their own wedding rings - a wonderful way to symbolise their commitment as the rings they exchanged on their wedding day were made by their own hands, a reminder that their marriage is within their own hands and only they can make it work.

Such a fantastic wedding - thanks to Lottie and Gil for asking me to be part of it!



No comments:

Post a Comment